Valentine's Day is about showing your love, and there are many ways to do so without buying new things. Show your people, and the planet, some love with these sustainable alternatives to physical gifts.
1. Take them out on an adventure outdoors. A walk on the park, a sunset at the beach, or a camping trip in the redwoods––nothing says "I love you" better than nature.
2. Prepare them a home-cooked meal. Everyone knows that the quickest way to the heart is through the mouth. And remember, food always tastes better if you eat it outside, so turn it into a picnic!
Check out these easy, gourmet recipes using seasonal ingredients for inspiration.
3. Write them a letter. If you have a way with words, give a poem a try! And if you're not a writer, paint them a picture, or make them origami. Show them the labor of love.
Here are some origami tutorials for inspiration!
4. Make them a video. Apple knows how much we love those spontaneous reminders of the good old days. Find your special photos and videos, add that special song, and take a walk together down memory lane.
You can use these video editing apps to make it like a pro!
5. Plant a tree together. Trees symbolize union and strength. You can watch the tree grow as the years pass by, and note how your love for one another grows, too.
Do you have other ideas for sustainable ways to celebrate your loved ones this Valentine's day? Let us know in the comments!
That's the way I do things when I want to celebrate, I always plant a tree. And so I got an indigenous tree, called Nandi flame, it has this beautiful red flowers." - Wangari Maathai